Monday, July 12, 2010

Meeting of the Western Union



Fifty members of Western Union, an organization of Western fiction and movie buffs in Japan, met at the Chuck Wagon restaurant in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, on Saturday, July 10, 2010. It was the 10th meeting of the group, which was formed three years ago, in the wake of another organization (which I don't remember the name of). The "meeting" went on for three hours over TexMex food and pitchers of beer. Above is the commemorative picture of the bunch. I'm somewhere in the back in a brown straw hat.



Chuck Tyrell was a guest speaker. Black Horse Westerns in general and Guns of Ponderosa in particular received a rounding recommendation from Tyrell. Several of the members wanted specific information on how to purchase BHW, which I provided. I mentioned Amazon around the world and suggested The Book Depository.



Duke Hiroi is Western Union's gun expert. His amazing knowledge of guns of the west puts me to shame and would be a lesson to all writers of western fiction. I'll have more to say about Duke as we learn what kinds of model guns are available for the Western fan in Japan.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chuck

    Very interesting about the Western Union. I wonder if you could help me. I've written a contemporary Western, set in the world of today's rodeo. Although I've been published before in mystery, it appears New York is not interested in Westerns any more.

    I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

    Thanks, Jameson Cole, jamesoncole@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete